The SNAP! pairs college students looking for real-world startup experience with early to mid-stage startup companies hiring interns for summer and fall 2020.
Hiring an intern or finding an internship might be the last thing you want to think about in these uncertain times.
Here’s three reasons why a startup or a student should snap to it and apply to StartingBlock’s Startup Intern SNAP!
- Student interns are a cost-effective strategy to find early talent. Hiring an intern can extend your runway and save on payroll expenses.
- Students are looking for the real-work experience that startups are well-positioned to provide, this is especially true now when many traditional summer jobs are uncertain.
- Students are great at working virtually so even if we are still social distancing over the summer, your student intern might even be able to help your teams learn new skills.
Check out 7 more advantages of the virtual internship.
Finding a student who wants specifically startup experience can be hard when startups have to compete against more established companies, but we make it a snap.
- Startups are lean organizations that provide real work, not make work, experience.
- Internships at startups turn into jobs as most net new jobs are created by companies less than five years old.
- Startups are often more flexible and comfortable with virtual work and flexible schedules than established companies.
It’s a SNAP!
- Submit your application by April 10 at 5:00 PM.
- We match students with startups for with a goal of three matched (20 minutes) virtual interviews at the SNAP! on April 21.
What does it cost?
SNAP! is free to student applicants and all startup members of StartingBlock Madison; $50 for other startups.
Paid / Unpaid internships?
While not required, we encourage startups to compensate interns for the work they are doing. The city of Madison sets the livable minimum wage at $13.62/hr.
April 14 – Notification of Matches
APR. 21, 5:00-7:30 pm – SNAP! virtual interviews
StartingBlock – 3rd Floor Cafe
821 East Washington Ave
Criteria to participate:
This event is open to all college students from the Madison area and is open to all majors. Must be available for virtual interviews on April 21. Must be available for a part time or full time internship for either the summer or fall of 2020.
- Easiest way to find hands-on experience with a startup.
- Learn what it takes to be on a startup team, and build a diverse set of skills to get the job done.
- Build valuable relationships with growing startups that can evolve into jobs.
Criteria to participate:
Startups should be less than ten years old and have less than 30 employees; ready to provide student interns with a great learning opportunity; and able to appropriately support interns.
- Easiest, fastest, cheapest way to find a student intern from all colleges and universities in the Madison area.
- Great opportunity for lean startups hiring student talent.
- Free for StartingBlock members.
- $50 for other startups for three intern interviews.
Discounts available to startups working with our partner organizations (gener8tor, madworks, Doyenne, Merlin Mentors, Bunker Labs, Capitol Entrepreneurs, Law & Entrepreneurship clinic).