StartingBlock seeks the services of a graphic designer, firm or similar creative to develop and produce a map for entrepreneurs in the Madison Region to help answer questions like: “What should I be doing? When should I be doing it? What resources are available to help me do it?”
The map will be used by the community to communicate how the Madison Region entrepreneurial ecosystem is organized and to help entrepreneurs and ecosystem builders to better understand how they can work together to succeed and grow the community. Actors and institutions leading different parts of the Madison Region entrepreneurial ecosystem will rely on this map, making it a highly visible tool in this area and beyond.
The map will also complement and serve as a front-door for the “Start In Madison Region” resource database project to be launched Summer 2020. The Start In database is a collaborative initiative between Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) and local entrepreneur support organizations coordinated in nine regions to build resource database of entrepreneur-focused resources filterable by region, type of support, demographics, sector, track, stage, etc. StartingBlock and UW are the Regional Leads for the Madison Region. StartingBlock is looking for a clear, compelling visualization of the ecosystem that complements the Start In Madison database, serving as its “front door” and a tool to guide entrepreneurs in navigating resources—in other words, a map.
Project Goals + Scope of Service
The map will lay out three types of startups (“tracks”) that entrepreneurs can follow: mainstreet, micro-enterprise, and innovation-led (scalable). It will guide entrepreneurs through four stages (inception/idea; proof of concept/prototype/market intro; rollout; and growth/expansion) of each track and highlight the types of resources relevant and locally available at each stage (i.e. pitching, space, capital, meetups, coding, prototyping, programming). In both format and content, the map will leverage content and data from the forthcoming StartinWI.com database. The selected designer will be responsible for creating a concept and developing an initial piece of collateral. The resulting deliverables will include:
- Full map delivered as an image (PDF, JPEG, vector). The map should:
- Clearly communicate the entrepreneurial ecosystem in an organized, visually appealing and easy-to-understand manner
- Framework that is adaptable for future updates
- Map delivered as an editable Powerpoint slide that could be used as a template (i.e. to add logos); simplified if needed
ANTICIPATED BUDGET: $5,000 with room for add-ons, such as:
- Version of map image that could be used in an interactive setting (i.e. embedded on a website with links)
- TBD based on complexity of design: Potential to separate map into multiple layers for each track
- Potentially tweaks to create other versions (i.e. industry-specific, inclusion of an additional track)
- Proposals Submissions Due: March 30, 2020 (Extended through April 2)
- Selection of Top Bidders / Notification to Unsuccessful Bidders: April 3, 2020
- Presentations / Interviews / Negotiations: Week of April 6, 2020
- Contract Award / Notification to Unsuccessful Bidders: April 10, 2020
- Project Completion + Reveal: June 2020
A submission must, at a minimum, include the following elements:
- Description of the designer or firm that includes a general overview, names and credentials of creative team
- A short narrative (not to exceed one page) outlining a proposed concept/approach. Can also include the designer or firm’s strengths and distinguishing skills or capabilities as they might relate to StartingBlock and this project
- A representative selection of pr
evious work design, infographic, web and/or other work created for current and past clients (can be submitted as part of PDF or as separate document/link)
- A proposed schedule of milestones, activities and timeline for completing the project
- A proposed budget, broken down into personnel time and any other relevant resources required
Full RFP with examples here.
Please submit proposal materials as a single PDF here.
Email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.